Ride Preparation

Colorado DualSport

Spark Arrestor

You must have a U.S. Forestry Approved spark arrestor to ride in the National Forest. Many off-road motorcycles come equipped with one from the factory. Add-on spark arrestors as complete silencers are available or you may need to rivet or bolt one on to your stock silencer.


Excessive noise is a BIG issue as it is used to limit our right to ride. With the price of travel, entry fees, and other costs associated with riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle being so high, riders must take time to make sure their exhaust meets sound and spark arrestor land-use laws. We urge all riders to include a review of their exhaust and silencer on their bike prep check list before riding.


Fuel Range

Any time you are planning a ride in the Rocky Mountains, it is necessary to carry extra fuel. Our events will bring you in close proximity to gas stations, but you still need to either have a large capacity fuel tank or carry extra fuel in a bottle with you.

Acerbis, IMS and Clarke offer larger capacity fuel tanks that are available for most dirt bikes.

You will need at least 2.5 to 2.9 gallons. Trying to maintain a steady throttle hand will help to maximize your fuel range. Aluminum fuel bottles can be purchased at most outdoor stores and are well suited for carrying extra fuel in your pack.
Carburetor Jetting
Carburetor Jetting

The trails and roads we ride in the Rocky Mountains are in the 7,000 to 12,000 foot altitude range. We would suggest setting up your bike for 9,000 feet and be right about the middle. Consult your owner’s manual or local experts for more specific instructions. Motorcycle set up is a very important part of having an enjoyable ride in the Rockies. If you’d like to have your motorcycle correctly jetted for altitude, we would suggest contacting local expert Sean Barr at Mountain Tech Motorsports in Buena Vista. Or you could just ride something fuel injected.

Click on the logo’s for contact information:

Bike Protection

The Rocky Mountains have some of the most rocky, technical and challenging trails anywhere in the U.S. Your motorcycle must be capable of withstanding some severe abuse.

Skid plates, chain guides, disk guards, radiator guards and hand guards are important items to install before you come. Even with these precautions, things still have a way of going wrong ….


Plan to have installed new rubber front and rear before you come. Please choose a tire that will have the least impact on the environment. With a huge variety of terrain, tire choice can be somewhat mind boggling. Many riders are now using a Trials universal on the rear and a hard pack knobby on the front. Trials tire have proven to be a good choice in rocks and roots, but also handle soft terrain quite well. Trials tire are friendly to the environment. We like the Kenda Equilibrium Hybrid DOT Tire.

Tire pressure depends on the tire, but generally run them a few pounds higher than you normally would. Heavy-duty tubes are a good investment to keep your trip moving forward. Anything you can do to keep from getting or changing a flat tire on the trail.

Tools and Spare Parts

A good quality fanny pack or backpack is a necessity for any long excursion or off-road ride in the Rocky Mountains.

Short list of recommended items:

T-Handle Trail Wrench with sockets from Fly Racing• Duct Tape
• Wire
• Pliers
• Master Link
• Screwdriver
• Allen wrench set
• Small “T” handle wrench with 8,10,12mm sockets
• End wrenches
• Crescent wrench
• L.ighter/Matches
• Flashlight
• Tow rope
• Tire irons
• Tube patches or plugs in a repair kit.
• Co2 bottle or Pump
• Make sure you carry enough spares to get you back to camp in any event. Make a checklist of some of the most common bolts and have a couple spares. Safety wire and duct tape are very handy.

Riding Gear

Weather conditions can change in a moment’s notice at altitude. Being equipped to handle the changes make for a more enjoyable ride. The temperature can and will change from 80 degrees at camp to as low as 40 degrees on high mountain passes.

We recommend an Enduro-style waterproof jacket with removable sleeves. These jackets have an assortment of pockets for your cell phone or camera or anything you want to access frequently. Regular MX style riding gear will work as long as you have a raincoat or some type of jacket when things get ugly. An extra pair of gloves is a good idea. Cloth for cleaning your goggles.

We suggest that you waterproof your riding boots, as there are a few creek and water crossings. If possible, bring two sets of gear so that you have a dry set to change into.

A good quality fanny pack or backpack is necessary for long excursions in the mountains. Keep in mind that you are carrying essentials to keep yourself comfortable and get you back to a road if you have a problem.  A back pack also gives you clothing options and can double as a hydration system.

Hydration System

Wear some type of hydration system and carry extra water in your fanny pack.

Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Stickers

Off-highway vehicles must be registered with Colorado State Parks. See the OHV Link Regulations Page on this website.

Out-of-state OHVs

Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31.

These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado, via mail-in request, or you can order one online​.

Once purchased, this sticker should be placed on​ the vehicle's outside face of the right front fork between the triple tree. Since this is only a use permit, no renewal notice will be sent to non-resident permit holders; you must purchase a new permit each year you come to Colorado with your OHV.

R​​egistration Fees

The annual registration fee is $25.25. Registrations are valid from April 1 through March 31 each year. This is a flat administrative transaction fee – it cannot be prorated for a partial year's registration, and will not be subject to refund if the vehicle is sold or stolen. 

How to ​​Register

You may register your vehicle at various OHV dealers or many Colorado Parks and Wildlife offices. View our OHV Registration Agent Locations List to find the registration location nearest you. Always call ahead to ensure services are available.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife - Registration Unit
13787 South Highway 85
Littleton, CO 80125

Ride Preparation